Presentation History: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Journal Club
Spring 2017 Presentations
- 4/18 – Srishti Singh presented Boland, A., et al. (2017) Cryo-EM structure of a metazoan separase–securin complex at near- atomic resolution, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology (24:414-420)
- 4/11 – Nivetha Babu presented Rauch, B., et al. (2017) Inhibition of CRISPR-Cas9 with Bacteriophage Proteins, Cell (168:150-158)
- 4/4 – Mengxiao Luo presented Erez, Z., et al. (2017) Communication between viruses guides lysis–lysogeny decisions, Nature (541:488–493)
- 3/28 – Scott Streitfeld presented Inoue, D., et al. (2017) Expression of the novel maternal centrosome assembly factor Wdr8 is required for vertebrate embryonic mitoses, Nature Communications (8:14090 | DOI: 10.1038/ncomms14090)
- 3/21 – Wei Zhou presented Mavrakis, K., et al. (2016) Disordered methionine metabolism in MTAP/CDKN2A-deleted cancers leads to dependence on PRMT5, Science (351:1208-1213)
- 2/14 – Akilah Murray presented Kotschy, A., et al. (2016) The MCL1 inhibitor S63845 is tolerable and effective in diverse cancer models, Nature (538:477-496)
- 1/31 – Carrie Lomelino & Avni Bhatt presented Vargas, L., et al. (2016) Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors reduce cardiac dysfunction after sustained coronary artery ligation in rats, Cardiovascular Pathology (25:468-477)
Fall 2016 Presentations
- 11/08 – Jana Jenquin presented Luu, L., et al. (2016) A Potent Inhibitor of Protein Sequestration by Expanded Triplet (CUG) Repeats that Shows Phenotypic Improvements in a Drosophila Model of Myotonic Dystrophy, ChemMedChem (11:1428-1435)
- 09/20 – Yang Liu presented Roybal, K., et al. (2016) Precision Tumor Recognition by T Cells With Combinatorial Antigen-Sensing Circuits, Cell (164:770-779)
- 09/06 – Justin Kurian presented Liang, Q., et al. (2016) Zika Virus NS4A and NS4B Proteins Deregulate Akt-mTOR Signaling in Human Fetal Neural Stem Cells to Inhibit Neurogenesis and Induce Autophagy, Cell Stem Cell (19:663-671)
Spring 2013 Presentations
- 02/19/13 – Gregory Stupp presented Tahoun, A. et al. (2012) Salmonella transforms follicle-associated epithelial cells into M cells to promote intestinal invasion. Cell Host & Microbe 25, 645-656.
- 2/05/13 – Chaevien Clendinen presented Málaga-Trillo, E. et al. (2009) Regulation of embryonic cell adhesion by the prion protein. PLoS Biol 7(3): e1000055. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1000055.
- 01/29/13 – Tal Salz presented Luga, V. et al. (2013) Exosomes mediate stromal mobilization of autocrine Wnt-PCP signaling in breast cancer cell migration. Cell 151, 1542-1556.
- 01/22/13 – Rosha Poudyal presented Umezu, T. et al. (2012) Leukemia cell to endothelial cell communication via exosomal miRNAs. Oncogene Advanced Online Publication 16 July 2012
- 01/15/13 – Brittany Lee presented Pillon, N.J. et al. (2012) Muscle cells challenged with saturated fatty acids mount an autonomous inflammatory response that activates macrophages. Cell Communication and Signaling 10:30.
Fall 2012 Presentations
Topic: Gene Therapy
- 11/27/12 – Melissa Pinard presented Wu, C.et al. (2012) Intra-amnionic transient transfection of the periderm with a viral vector encoding TGFβ3 prevents cleft palate in Tgfβ3-/- mouse embryos. Molecular Therapy 20, Oct. 23 Advanced online publication.
- 11/13/12 – Lin-Ya Huang presented Wather, W. et al. (2012) Novel Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin suicide gene therapy for selective treatment of claudin-3- and -4-overexpressing tumors. Gene Therapy 19, 494-503.
- 11/6/12 – Elizabeth Butterworth presented Ildefonso, C.J. et al. (2012) The liberation of CD44 intracellular domain modulates adenoviral vector transgene expression. J. Biol. Chem 287, 32697-32707.
- 10/30/12 – Stephanie Morton presented Hicks, M.J. et al. (2012) AAV-directed persistent expression of a gene encoding anti-nicotine antibody for smoking cessation. Science Translational Medicine 4 1 – 12.
- 10/24/12 – Pamela Chamales presented Akil, O. et al. (2012) Restoration of hearing in the VGLUT3 knockout mouse using virally mediated gene therapy. Neuron 75, 283-293.
- 10/9/12 – Justin Runac presented Voigt et al. (2012) Retargeting Sleeping Beauty transposon insertions by engineered zing finger DNA-binding domains. Molecular Therapy 20, 1852-1862.
- 10/2/12 – Shweta Kailasan presented Touchard, E.et al. (2012) Suprachoroidal electrotransfer: A nonviral gene delivery method to transfect the choroid and the retina without detaching the retina. Molecular Therapy 20, 1559-1570.
- 9/25/12 – Mayank Talwar presented Li, H.et al. (2011) In vivo genome editing restores haemostasis in a mouse model of haemophilia. Nature 475, 217-221.
- 9/18/12 – Jacob Richards presented Agudo, J.et al. (2012) A TLR and Non-TLR mediated innate response to lentiviruses restricts hepatocyte entry and can be ameliorated by pharmacological blockade. Molecular Therapy, Aug. 7, advanced online publication.
- 9/11/12 – Fran Tondnevis presented Spencer, B.et al. (2009) Lentivirus mediated delivery of neurosin promotes clearance of wild-type α-synuclein and reduces the pathology in an α-synuclein model of LBD. Molecular Therapy, advanced online publication .
- 9/4/12 – Chris Boone presented Mancuso, K.et al. (2009) Gene therapy for red-green colour blindness in adult primates. Nature 461, 784-787.
Spring 2012 Presentations
Topic: Intrinsically Disordered Proteins, and Misfolded Proteins and Disease
- 4/10/12 – Stephanie Morton presented Majumdar, A.et al. (2012) Critical role of amyloid-like oligomers of Drosphophila Orb2 in the persistence of memory. Cell 148, 515-529.
- 3/27/12 – Mayank Talwar presented Koch, P.et al. (2011) Excitation-induced ataxin-3 aggregation in neurons from patients with Machado-Joseph disease. Nature 480, 543-546.
- 3/20/12 – Chris Boone presented Krueger, S.et al. (2011) Atomistic ensemble modeling and small-angle neutron scattering of intrinsically disordered protein complexes: Applied to minichromosome maintenance protein. Biophys. J. 101, 2999-3007.
- 3/13/12 – Pamela Chamales presented Reichmann, D.et al. (2012) Order out of disorder: Working cycleo of an intrinsically unfolded chaperone. Cell 148, 947-957.
- 2/14/12 – Jacob Richards presented Johannsson, B.B.et al. (2011) Diabetes and pancreatic exocrine dysfunction due to mutations in the carboxyl ester lipase gene-maturity onset diabetes of the young (CEL-MODY): A protein misfolding disease. J. Biol. Chem. 286, 34593-34605.
- 2/7/12 – Natalia Torres presented Baldo, B.et al. (2012) A screen for enhancers of clearance identifies Huntingtin as a heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) client protein. J. Biol. Chem. 287, 1406-1414.
- 1/31/12 – Fran Tondnevis presented Stöhr, J.et al. (2011) Spontaneous generation of anchorless prions in transgenic mice. PNAS 108, 21223-21228.
- 1/24/12 – Shweta Kailasan presented Kovac, A.et al. (2011) Misfolded truncated protein τ induces innate immune response via MAPK pathway. J. Immunology 187, 2732-2739.
- 1/17/12 – Dayne West presented Halfmann, R.et al. (2011) Opposing effects of glutamine and asparagine govern prion formation by intrinsically disordered proteins. Molecular Cell 43, 72-84.
Fall 2011 Presentations
- 11/8/11 – Joeva Barrow presented Grohmann, D.et al. (2011) The initiation factor TFE and the elongation factor Spt4/5 compete for the RNAP clamp during transcription initiation and elongation. Molecular Cell 43, 263-274.
- 11/1/11 – Tal Salz presented Desai, S.S.et al. (2011) Characterization of the role of the RadS/RadR two-component system in the radiation resistance of Deinococcus radiodurans. Microbiology 157, 2974-2982.
- 10/25/11 – Kyle Heim presented Slade, D.et al. (2009) Recombination and replication in DNA repair of heavily irradiated Deinococcus radiodurans. Cell 136, 1044-1055.
- 10/11/11 – Bridget Lins presented Duplantis, B.N.et al. (2010) Essential genes from Artic bacteria used to construct stable, temperature-sensitive bacterial vaccines. PNAS 107, 13456-13460.
- 10/4/11 – Yu-shan Tsen presented Koto, S.et al. (2010) Characterization of an ATP-regulated DNA-processing enzyme and thermotolerant phosphodiesterase in the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. Bichemical J. 431, 149-157.
- 9/27/11 – Gregory Stupp presented Chakrabortee, S. et al. (2010) Catalytic and chaperone-like functions in an intrinsically disorderd protein associated with desiccation tolerance. PNAS 107, 16084-16089.
- 9/20/11 – Mayank Aggarwal presented Zambare, V.P. et al. (2011) Bioprocessing of agricultural residues to ethanol utilizing a celluolytic extremophile. Extremophiles 15, 611-618.
- 9/13/11 – Harald Messer presented Scheele, U. et al. (2011) Chaperone role for proteins p618 and p892 in the extracellular tail development of Acidianus Two-tailed virus. J. Virol. 85, 4812-4821.
- 9/6/11 – Chaevien Clendinen presented Henzler-Wildman, K.A. et al. (2007) A hierarchy of timescales in protein dynamics is linked to enzyme catalysis. Nature 450, 913-916.
Spring 2011 Presentations
- 4/19/11 – Yushan Tseng presented Parsa, H. et al. (2011) Uncovering the behaviors of individual cells within a multicellular microvascular community. PNAS 108, 5133-5138.
- 4/12/11 – Harald Messer presented Nazarian, R. et al. (2010) Melanomas acquire resistance to B-RAF(V600E) inhibition by RTK or N-RAS upregulation. Nature 468, 973-977.
- 4/5/11 – Bridget Lins presented Duda, D.G. et al. (2010) Malignant cells facilitate lung metastasis by bringing their own soil. PNAS 107, 21677-21682.
- 3/29/11 – Mayank Aggarwal presented Wang, Q. et al. (2011) Mutant proteins as cancer-specific biomarkers. PNAS 108, 2444-2449.
- 3/22/11 – Joeva Barrow presented Kim, J. et al. (2010) A Myc network accounts for similiarities between embryonic stem and cancer cell transcription programs. Cell 143, 313-324.
- 3/01/11 – Kyle Heim presented Bandyopadhyay, K. and Gjerset, R.A. (2011) Protein kinase CK2 is a central regulator of topoisomerase I hyperphosphorylation and camptothectin sensitivity in cancer cell lines. Biochemistry 50, 704-714.
- 2/08/11 – Bhavita Patel presented Gilbert, L.A. and Hemann, M.T. (2010) DNA damage-mediated induction of a chemoresistant niche. Cell 143, 355-366.
- 2/01/11 – Greg Stupp presented Suzuki, S. et al. (2010) Phosphate-activated glutaminase (GLS2), a p53-inducible regulator of glutamine metabolism and reactive oxygen species. PNAS 107, 7461-7466.
- 1/25/11 – Tal Salz presented Selivanova, G. et al. (2010) Rescue of p53 function by small-molecule RITA in cervical carcinoma by blocking E6-mediated degradation. Cancer Res. 70, 3372-3381.
- 1/18/11 – Dayne West presented Takahashi, H. et al. (2010) Tobacco smoke promotes lung tumorigenesis by triggering IKKβ- and JNK1-dependent inflamation. Cancer Cell 17, 89-97.
Fall 2010 Presentations
Topic: DNA mismatch repair
- 12/07/10 – Mollie Martin presented Xu, X. et al. (2010) TAp63 suppresses metastasis through coordinate regulation of dicer and miRNAs. Nature 467, 986-990.
- 11/30/10 – Chaevien Clendinen presented Yew, J.Y. et al. (2009) A new male sex pheromone and novel cuticular cues for chemical communication in Drosophila. Current Biology 19, 1245-1254
- 11/16/10 – Larry Tartaglia presented Shrimali, R.K. et al. (2010) Antiangiogenic agents can increase lymphocyte infiltration into tumor and enhance the effectiveness of adoptive immunotherapy of cancer. Cancer Research 70, 6171-6180.
- 11/09/10 – Sarah Barilovits presented Lee, B.-H. et al. (2010) Enhancement of proteasome activity by a small-molecule inhibitor of USP14. Nature 467, 179-184.
- 11/2/10 – Ryan Skehan presented Andersson Φrom, U. et al. (2010) Long noncoding RNAs with enhancer-like function in human cells. Cell 143, 46-58.
- 10/19/10 – Lauren Drouin presented Spangler, J.B. et al. (2010) Combination antibody treatment down-regulates epidermal growth factor receptor by inhibitin endosomal recycling. PNAS 107, 13252-13257.
- 10/14/10 – Dr. Paul Modrich, James B. Duke Professor of Biochemistry and Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigatorat Duke University presented his research “Human DNA Mismatch Repair: What We’ve Learned About How it Works.”
- 10/12/10 – Kavitha Gnanasambandan presented Carneiro, T. et al. (2010) Telomeres avoid end detection by severing the checkpoint signal transduction pathway. Nature 467, 228-232
- 10/5/10 – Jaclyn Hayner presented Panigrahi, G.B. et al. (2010) Isolated short CTG/CAG DNA slip-outs are repaired efficiently by hMutSβ, but clusterd slip-outs are poorly repaired. PNAS 107, 12593-12598.
- 9/28/10 – River Ybarra presented Pluciennik, A. et al. (2010) PCNA function in the activation and strand direction of MutLα endonuclease in mismatch repair. PNAS 107, 16066-13071.
- 9/21/10 – Mukundh Balasubramanian presented Javaid, S. et al. (2009) Nucleosome Remodeling by hMSH2-hMSH6. Mol. Cell 36, 1086-1094.
- 9/14/10 – Robert Ng presented Yang, J-L. et al. (2010) Neurons efficiently repair glutamate-induced oxidative DNA damage by a process involving CREB-mediated up-regulation of apurinic endonuclease 1. J. Biol. Chem. 285, 28191-28199.
- 9/7/10 – Bala Venkatakrishnan presented Gorman, J. et al. (2010) Visualizing one-dimensional diffusion of eukaryotic DNA repair factors along a chromatin lattice. Nature Struct. & Mol. Biol. 17, 932-938.
Spring 2010 Presentations
Topic: Structural Biology/Biological Nanomachines
- 5/4/10 – Larry Tartaglia presented Ren, Y. et al. (2009) A structure-based mechanism for vesicle capture by the multisubunit tethering complex Dsl1. Cell 139, 1119-1129.
- 4/27/10 – Suzanne Farver presented Kirkegaard, T. et al. (2010) HSP70 stabilizes lysosomes and reverts Niemann-Pick disease associated lysosomal pathology. Nature 463, 549-553
- 4/13/10 – Lauren Drouin presented Di Pietro, S.M. et al. (2010) Regulation of clathrin adapter function in endocytosis: novel role for the SAM domain. EMBO Journal 29, 1033-1044.
- 4/6/10 – Jaclyn Hayner presented Kocik, E. et al. (2009) Interactions between subunits in heterodimeric Ncd molecules. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 35735-35745.
- 3/23/10 – Dayne West presented Zhang, Y. et al. (2009) The Paf1 complex is required for efficient transcription elongation by RNA polymerase I. PNAS 106, 2153-2158.
- 3/16/10 – Sarah Barilovits presented Kowentz-Leutz, E. et al. (2010) Crosstalk between C/EBPβ phosphorylation, arginine methylation, and SWI/SNF/mediator implies an indexing of transcription factor code. EMBO Journal
- 3/2/10 – Bhavita Patel presented Furuyama, T. and Henikoff, S. (2009) Centromeric nucleosomes induce positive DNA supercoils. Cell 138, 104-113.
- 2/23/10 – Joeva Barrow presented Kwon, H.J. et al. (2009) Structure of N-terminal domain of NPC1 reveals distinct subdomains for binding and transfer of cholesterol. Cell 137, 1213-1224.
- 2/09/10 – Justin Runac presented Liu, B. et al. (2010) The polarisome is required for segregation and retrograde transport of protein aggregates. Cell 140, 257-267.
- 2/02/10 – Tolunay Beker presented Ulbrich, C. et al. (2009) Mechanochemical removal of ribosome biogenesis factors from nascent 60S ribosomal subunits. Cell 138, 911-922.
- 1/26/10 – Robert Ng presented Franz, H. et al. (2009) Multimerization and H3K9me3 binding are required for CDYL1b heterochromatin association. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 35049-35059.
- 1/19/10 – Sushama Kamarajugadda presented Roux, J. et al. (2009) TGF-β1 inhibits CFTR-dependent cAMP-stimulated alveolar epithelial fluid transport via a PI3K-dependent mechanism. J. Biol. Chem. Papers in Press
- 1/12/10 – Suzanne Farver presented Lo, K.-Y. et al. (2010) Ribosome stalk assembly required the dual-specificity phosphotase Yvh1 for the exchange of Mrt4 with P0. J. Cell Biol. 186, 849-862.
Fall 2009 Presentations
Topic: Enzyme Mechanisms
- 12/7/09 – Mollie Martin presented Jang, G.-Y. et al. (2009) Transglutaminase 2 suppresses apoptosis by modulating caspase 3 and NF-ΚB activity in hypoxic tumor cells. Oncogene advance online publication
- 12/1/09 – Jennifer Thompson presented Kolandaivelu, S. et al. (2009) AIPL1, a protein associated with childhood blindness, interacts with α-subunit of rod phosphodiesterase (PDE6) and is essential for its proper assembly. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 30853-30861
- 11/24/09 – River Ybarra presented Grassinger, J. et al. (2009) Thrombin-cleaved osteopontin regulates hemopoietic stem and progenitor cell functions through interactions with α9β1 and α4β1 integrins. Blood 114, 49-59
- 11/17/09 – Mukundh Balasubramanian presented Yang, X-c. et al. (2009) FLASH, a proapoptotic protein involved in activation of caspase-8, is essential for 3’end processing of histone pre-mRNA’s. Molecular Cell 36, 267-278
- 11/10/09 – Balu Avvaru his research in the McKenna Lab “Insights into the catalytic mechanism of human carbonic anhydrase II.”
- 10/27/09 – Ryan Skehan presented Kraft, C. et al. (2008) Mature ribosomes are selectively degraded upon staration by an autophagy pathway requiring the Ubp3p/Bre5p ubiquitin protease. Nature Cell Biol. 10, 602-610
- 10/20/09 – Ankita Chiraniya presented Gafni, J. et al. (2009) Calpain-1 cleaves and activates caspase-7. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 25441-25449
- 10/13/09 – Kavitha Gnanasambandan presented Mukherjee, K. et al. (2008) CASK functions as a Mg2+-independent neurexin kinase. Cell 133, 328-339.
- 10/6/09 – Bala Venkatakrishnan Wu, Y.I. et al. (2009) A genetically encoded photoactivatable Rac controls the motility of living cells. Nature 461, 104-108
- 9/29/09 – Danel Gibson presented his work in the Schultz Lab “The Molecular Biology of Corneal Fibrosis”
- 9/22/09 – Tina Halder presented Sapparapu, G. et al. (2009) Antigen-specific proteolysis by hybrid antibodies containing promiscuous proteolytic light chains paired with an antigen-binding heavy chain. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 24622-24633
- 9/15/09 – Lisa Dyer presented Nakatani, J. et al. (2009) Abnormal behavior in a chromosome-engineered mouse model for human 15q11-13 duplication seen in autism. Cell 137, 1235-1246.
- 9/8/09 – Katherine Sippel her research in the McKenna Lab “Mycoplasma p37: The tale of a protein in search of an identity.”
- 9/1/08 – Dr. Ben Dunn presented his research “The ABCs of HIV-1 Protease”.
Spring 2009 Presentations
Topic: Epigenetics – Nature vs. Nurture
- 4/28/09 – Tolunay Beker presented Xiao, A. et al. (2009) WSTF regulates the H2A.X DNA damage response via a novel tyrosine kinase activity. Nature 457, 57-62.
- 4/21/09 – Mukundh Balasubramanian presented McGowan, P.O.et al. (2009) Epigenetic regulation of the glucocorticoid receptor in human brain associates with childhood abuse. Nature Neuroscience 12, 342-348.
- 4/14/09 – Randy Jirtle, Ph.D., Professor, Duke University School of Medicine, presented his research “Epigenetics: the Inextricable Link Between Nature and Nurture”.
- 4/7/09 – Jennifer Thompson presented Xie, W. et al. (2009) Histone H3 lysine 56 acetylation is linked to the core transcriptional network in human embryonic stem cells. Mol. Cell 33, 417-427.
- 3/31/09 – River Ybarra presented Colmone, A. et al. (2008) Leukemic cells create bone marrow niches that disrupt the behavior of normal hematopoetic progenitor cells. Science 322, 1861-1865.
- 3/24/09 – Ryan Skehan presented Lubin, F.D. et al. (2008) Epigenetic regulation of bdnf gene transcription in the consolidation of fear memory. J. Neuroscience 28, 10576-10586.
- 3/17/09 – Jeanne Quirit presented Mammoto, A. et al. (2009) A mechanoselective transcriptional mechanism that controls angiogenesis. Nature 457, 1103-1109.
- 3/10/09 – Lauren Drouin presented Silva, L. et al. (2008) Role for A-type lamins in herpesviral DNA targeting and heterochromatin modulation. PLOS Pathogens 4(5), e1000071.
- 3/3/09 – Lawrence Tartaglia presented Mikkelsen, T.S. et al. (2008) Dissecting direct reprogramming through integrative genomic analysis. Nature 454, 49-55.
- 2/24/09 – Mollie Martin presented Lujambio, A. (2008) A microRNA DNA methylation signature for human cancer metastasis. PNAS 105, 13556-13561.
- 2/17/09 – Sayak Mitter presented Varambally, S. et al. (2008) Genomic Loss of microRNA-101 Leads to Overexpression of Histone Methyltransferase EZH2 in Cancer. Science 322, 1695-1699.
- 2/10/09 – Ying Li presented Han, X. et al. (2008) Tethering by lamin A stabilizes and targets the ING1 tumor suppressor. Nature Cell Biology 10, 1333-1340.
- 2/3/09 – Daniel Gibson presented Weaver, I.C.G. et al. (2008) Reversal of maternal programming of stress responses in adult offspring through methyl supplementation: Altering epigenetic marking later in life. J. Neuroscience 25, 11045-11054.
- 1/27/09 – Kavitha Gnanasambandan presented Hansen, K.H. et al. (2008) A model for transmission of the H3K27me3 epigenetic mark. Nature Cell Biology 10, 1291-1300.
- 1/20/09 – Ankita Chiraniya presented Alenghat, T. et al. (2008) Nuclear receptor corepressor and histone deacetylase 3 govern circadian metabolic physiology. Nature 456, 997-1000.
- 1/13/09 – Robert Ng presented Vincenz, C. and Kerppola, T.K. (2008) Different polycomb group CBX family proteins associate with distinct regions of chromatin using nonhomologous protein sequences. PNAS 105, 16572-16577.
- 1/6/09 – Bala Venkatakrishnan presented Meissner, A. et al. (2008) Genome-scale DNA methylation maps of pluripotent and differentiated cells. Nature 454, 766-770.
Fall 2008 Presentations
Topic: HIV and Viral Assembly
- 12/9/08 – Balendu Avvaru presented Kaganovich, D., Kopito, R. and Frydman, J. (2008) Misfolded proteins partition between two distinct quality control compartments. Nature 454, 1089-1096.
- 12/2/08 – Sujata (Tina) Halder presented Choi, E.Y. et al. (2008) Del-1, an Endogenous Leukocyte-Endothelial Adhesion Inhibitor, Limits Inflammatory Cell Recruitment. Science 322, 1101-1104.
- 11/25/08 – Ada Ao presented Mercer J. and Helenius, H. (2008) Vaccinia Virus Uses Macropinocytosis and Apoptotic Mimicry to Enter Host Cells. Science 320, 531-535.
- 11/18/08 – Lisa Dyer presented Wen, L. et al. (2008) Innate immunity and intestinal microbiata in the development of Type 1 diabetes. Nature 455, 1109-1113.
- 11/13/08 – Wesley Sundquist, Ph.D., Professor, University of Utah, presented his research “Structural Biology and Biochemistry of HIV Assembly and Budding”.
- 11/4/08 – Suzanne Farver presented Bartonova, V. et al. (2008) Residues in the HIV-1 capsid assembly inhibitor binding site are essential for maintaining the assembly competent quarternary structure of the capsid protein. J. Biol. Chem. Article in Press
- 10/28/08 – Bing Yao presented Rauch, S. et al. (2008) Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 Nef Recruits the Guanine Exchange Factor Vav1 via an Unexpected Interface into Plasma Membrane Microdomains for Association with p21-Activated Kinase 2 Activity. Journal of Virology 82, 2918-2929.
- 10/21/08 – Katherine Sippel presented Wang, J.-H. et al. (2008) Macropinocytosis and cytoskeleton contribute to dendritic cell-mediated HIV-1 transmission to CD4+ cells. Virology Article in Press
- 10/14/08 – Brittney Gurda presented Trajkovic, K. et al. (2008) Ceramide Triggers Budding of Exosome Vesicles into Multivesicular Endosomes. Science 319, 1244-1247.
- 10/7/08 – Carolina Pardo presented Carlton, J.G. et al. (2008) Differential Requirements for Alix and ESCRT-III in Cytokinesis and HIV-1 release. PNAS 105, 10541-10545
- 9/30/08 – Sushama Kamarajugadda presented Strasner, A.B. et al. (2008) The Src Kinase Lck Facilitates Assembly of HIV-1 at the Plasma Membrane. J. Immuno. 181, 3706 -3713.
- 9/23/08 – Dr. Ben Dunn presented his research “Global Infectious Diseases: HIV Protease Sequence Variability and Drug Resistance”.
- 9/9/08 – Amanda Welch presented Dantas, G. et al. (2008) Bacteria subsisting on antibiotics. Science 320, 100 – 103.
- 9/2/08 – John Domsic presented Ushioda, R. et al. (2008) ERdj5 is required as a disulfide reductase for degradation of misfolded proteins in the ER. Science 321, 569 – 572.
Spring 2008 Presentations
Topic: Antimicrobial Peptides
- 4/22/08 – Ying Li presented Corbin, B.D. et al. (2008) Metal Chelation and Inhibition of Bacterial Growth in Tissue Abscesses. Science 319, 962 – 965.
- 4/15/08 – Guest speaker Dr. Michael Zasloff presented his research “So why don’t I get an infection when I bite my tongue: The silent role of innate immunity in human health”.
- 4/1/08 – Bing Yao presented Greten, F.R. et al. (2007) NF-κB is a Negative Regulator of IL-1β Secretion as Revealed by Genetic and Pharmacological Inhibition of IKKβ. Cell 130, 918-931.
- 3/25/08 – Sujata Halder presented Nakatsukasa, K. et al. (2008) Dissecting the ER-associated Degradation of a Misfolded Polytopic Membrane Protein. Cell 132, 102-112.
- 3/18/08 – Dan Gibson presented Karnik, S.K. et al. (2007) Menin Controls Growth of Pancreatic β-Cells in Pregnant Mice and Promotes Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Science 318, 806 – 809.
- 3/4/08 – Judy Hwang presented Ryu, J.-H. et al. (2008) Innate Immune Homeostasis by the Homeobox Gene Caudal and Commensal-Gut Mutualism in Drosophila. Science 319, 777 – 782.
- 2/26/08 – Tolunay Beker presented Foster, S.L. et al. (2007) Gene-specific control of inflammation by TLR-induced chromatin modifications. Nature 447, 972-978.
- 2/19/08 – Suzanne Farver presented Pistolesi, S. et al. (2007) Membrane Insertion and Bilayer Perturbation by Antimicrobial Peptide CM15. Biophys. J. 93, 1651-1660.
- 2/12/08 – Lisa Dyer presented Overholtzer, M. et al. (2007) A Nonapoptotic Cell Death Process, Entosis, that Occurs by Cell-in-Cell Invasion. Cell 131, 966-979.
- 2/05/08 – Carolina Pardo presented Lande, R. et al. (2007) Plasmacytoid dendritic cells sense self-DNA coupled with antimicrobial peptide. Nature 449, 564-569.
- 1/29/08 – Balu Avvaru presented Pajerowski, J.D. et al. (2007) Physical plasticity of the nucleus in stem cell differentiation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 15619-15624
- 1/22/08 – Katherine Sippel presented Nishida, N. et al. (2007) Interaction of Magainin-PGLa Peptide with Membranes: Insight into the Mechanism of Synergism. Biochemistry 46, 14284-14290.
- 1/15/08 – Justin Bickford presented Gupta, M. and Copeland, P.R. (2007) Functional Analysis of the Interplay between Translation Termination, Selenocytein Codon Context, and Slenocystein Insertion Sequence-binding Protein 2. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 36797-36807.
- 1/08/08 – Santhi Pondugula presented Takahashi, K. et al. (2007) Induction of Pluripotent Stem Cells from Adult Human Fibroblasts by Defined Factors. Cell 131, 861-872.
Fall 2007 Presentations
- 12/4/07 – Brian Fuller presented Pentcheva-Hong, T. et al. (2007) Programmed Death-1 Concentration at the Immunological Synapse is Determined by Ligand Affinity and Availability. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 17,765-17,770
- 11/27/07 – Nan Su presented Dong, J. et al. (2007) Elucidation of a Universal Size-control Mechanism in Drosophila and Mammals. Cell 130, 1120-1133
- 11/20/07 – Ada Ao presented Arockia Jeyaprakash, A. et al. (2007) Structure of a Survivin-Borealin-INCENP Core Complex Reveals How Chromosomal Passengers Travel Together. Cell 131, 271-285
- 11/13/07 – John Domsic presented Kang, B.H. et al. (2007) Regulation of Tumor Cell Mitochondrial Homeostasis by an Organelle-Specific Hsp90 Chaperone Network. Cell 131, 257-270
- 11/6/07 – Altin Gjymishka presented a talk on his research in the Kilberg Lab entitled “Distinct Transcriptional Regulation of Human Neutral Amino Acid Transporter SNAT2 by Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Amino Acid Limitation”.
- 10/29/07 – Brittney Gurda presented Luke, C.J. et al. (2007) An Intracellular Serpin Regulates Necrosis by Inhibiting the Induction and Sequelae of Lysosomal Injury Cell 130, 1108-1119
- 10/23/07 – Zhuo Zhou presented Cheah, M.T. et al. (2007) Control of Alternative RNA Splicing and Gene Expression by Eukaryotic Riboswitches. Nature 447, 497-500.
- 10/16/07 – Melissa Marzahn presented her research in the Dunn Lab entitled “Characterization of Plasmepsins from the Malaria Parasite Plasmodium falciparum”.
- 10/9/07 – Suhashni Gopalakrishnan presented Denchi, E.L. and de Lange, T. (2007) Protection of telomeres through independent control of ATM and ATR by TRF2 and POT1 Nature 448, 1068-1071.
- 10/2/07 – Amanda Welch presented Ortlund, E.A. et al. (2007) Crystal Structure of an Ancient Protein: Evolution by Conformational Epistasis. Science 317, 1544-1548.
- 9/25/07 – Nicolette Case presented Kovtun, I.V. et al. (2007) OGG1 initiates age-dependent CAG trinucleotide expansion in somatic cells. Nature 447, 447-45.
- 9/18/07 – Marsha Bush presented Nakamura ,T. et al. (2007) Estrogen Prevents Bone Loss via Estrogen Receptor α and Induction of Fas Ligand in Osteoclasts. Cell 130, 811-823.
- 9/11/07 – Jesse Kay presented Schug, T.T. et al. (2007) Opposing Effects of Retinoic Acid on Cell Growth Result from Alternate Activation of Two Different Nuclear Receptors. Cell 129, 723-733.